22 February 2009

Beer'n'Blood


Born Sweden, brought up in Spain, living in London and rocking the satisfyingly slick age of 28...I am proud to announce that I am no longer a UFC virgin :-)

Yes, friends, this weekend I didn't just survive, but massively enjoyed, my very first trip to a live fight. 5hrs of live fight, in fact.

I have to admit that however much I'd been looking forward to the experience, I did have some reservations about heading down so early (5pm? On a Saturday? I'm barely out of bed!!)...to collect tickets to an event I had no idea what to expect of...only to get most probably get lost in an area I'd never been (have you any idea how big the O2 is??!!) and pay extortionate prices for beer. That, and being seen cheering on Knock Outs and blood spillage by fellow employees who also got free tickets to my seating section.

But no, it was freaking awesome: Purple cage lights, blasting music, OTT american commentators and bikini-clad gals holding 'Round 1' cards...what more does a Saturday evening need? Beer and blood, you say? All good, not to worry, there was that too. Bargain!

Seriously, though, after a few hours hearing about fighter wins, loses, specialities and profiles, and watching outcomes ranging from instant KOs and painful ankle locks to surprise high kicks and crushing cage mash-ups, I actually feel I'd be well up for following it on TV too. True, I'd miss the bizarre intro music and mad audience (shaved-headed scousers and glammed-up dolly birds being two key features) but I think I'm enough of a convert to cope until the next time I can see my newly adopted punk champ Dan Hardy knock someone flying live :-)

And to think I was considering sacking it off for a BBQ in the sun!

1 comment:

Bentos said...

Barbarian!

Anyway, Hulk Hogan would have 'em all for breakfast!