23 April 2009

Hardcore Holiday


So I figure, if work is going to involve this much travel...why not make use of it? Having missed out on a good few London tours of late, when I found myself booked into Madrid this week I decided to scout hard for possible bands to see.
And lo and behold...WALLS OF JERICHO are here! Not only that, but they are playing an ickle venue below and are joined by DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR and NATIONS AFIRE. The bad news? H2O pulled out and Born From Pain opted to play with Terror next month instead (I'm on their side...) but with DBD positivity back-to-back with Walls' aggression you're on a winner regardless.

This is the point I interupt with a huge cheer of thanks to Javi from Freak Productions who kindly reserved me a ticket after I failed the on-line buy test. He also told me he has Terror and Brujeria lined up next...I'll be hunting for weekly spanish meetings at this rate ;-)

Both bands were blinding live, as always, with WOJ encouraging mass stage-diving and DBD pacing for the old-school. Nations Afire, meanwhile, were not so hot... Attracting a scarce audience (21:30 is early for Spain!) the super-group are weakened by their singer, who's tuneful tones and distinctly soft-side moves distract from the often powerful punk melodies behind. Made up of members of Rise Against, Ignite, Death By Stereo and Reach The Sky, they've chosen to fly the flag for the catchier strains of hardcore, but actually get a lost on the bill tonight. WOJ (see video!) and DBD are in no danger of leaving you without bruises, though, and storm their sets leaving a good supply of circle pits (and in Candace's case, a dead mike) in their wake. Well worth 3 days of meetings!

No comments: